Changing meds cont.

Two weeks, it took two bloody weeks, well actually it's probably nearer three, to get my new, improved meds, or more accurately stronger dosage meds and so I've only just got started taking them within the last 48 hours. 


And so far the results have been underwhelming. No improvement as far as I can see.  Still shaky, little stamina or dexterity in my right hand. Stiff, cognitively slow.

I'm pissed off.

But still, early days.  Got to give it two weeks before complaining to my practitioner.

I will admit however that all this is getting me down. Four weeks ago I felt relatively normal, today it's as if I've fallen off a cliff and I haven't stopped falling.

I just hope I'll be able to clamber up again. I may have developed some problems before the change, but in retrospect they now seem small beer, a pin prick and and only a slight inconvenience. 

Not  the new symptoms, they feel debilitating.

But why did it take so long to get the new medication? Well every different stage in the process seemed to take longer than it should.

And it all adds up. I needed the meds, but no one in the chain seemed to be in any rush. 

And to add insult to injury, when I phoned the pharmacy I got told the meds would be ready the next day, so I turned up early to get them.

Only to find it shut. It was Good Friday and they took the day off. Which is fair enough, but why say my medication would be available?

The whole process is almost Kafkaesque. 

Now I shouldn't complain. The NHS is in such a mess at the moment, my little inconvenience doesn't matter. Other people are dying. In a way COVID is still killing.

But for me it matters big time. 

Now from the end of this week, I'm on holiday for a couple of weeks in the sun, so hopefully the rest, the sun and the meds will all kick in to get me going again. If not the practitioner and my consultant will have me banging at the door demanding better medication big time.

But if the last change is a marker for what I can expect, that is 6 weeks down the line before I get them and 8 weeks before I can assess the success.

The current meds had better work and soon.

I have to say, if I can finish on a positive note, one of the reasons for the change was to help me sleep and that's worked, I'm currently sleeping like a baby.

So it's not all bad!

Update:  been taking the new medication for 6 days now and beginning to feel some improvement. Less slow, more cognitively aware, still poor hand and finger stamina, but it maybe starting to improve as well.

Hopefully this is the start of better things!





Comments

  1. Hi Clive. Praying for you as you navigate the new meds and the less than helpful labyrinthine morass of the NHS. May the risen Lord bless you and keep you, may he cause his face to shine upon you and give you peace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most read