Surviving Parkinson's


I am not ambidextrous. Far from it. I am very right-handed. Up until recently, my left side has played, at best, a supporting role in my life. 

When playing rugby I kicked with my right foot, if I tried with my left it was anyone's guess where the ball would end up.

Playing cricket, I could only throw the ball with my right hand, if I tried with my left, I'd miss the wicket by a mile.

and to add insult to injury, I'd probably hit a teammate on the back of his head.

So whether it was writing, typing, cleaning my teeth, shaving or any one of dozens of other activities, I used my right hand. Frankly, for some activities, I was a danger to myself, if I tried to use my left!

This was all before Parkinson's came along. And indeed my first visible symptoms were when my right hand started 'playing up'. Shaking when things become stressful, loss of stamina when typing, and having a feeling of deadness in part of my arm.

But all these problems disappeared when I started taking medication. So yippee all was well again. Exercising and the production of Dopamine caused by the exercise also helped. 

Things felt nearly normal.

Is anything ever that easy?

Very quickly I learnt that these improvements were temporary, after only a few months the problems started coming back and eventually I needed stronger medication. This pattern of symptoms, medication, good months, decline, and stronger medication, went on for four years but has now come to a grinding halt.

Put simply, increasing the medication isn't working and my right hand and arm simply refuse to play ball and improve.

And if I am honest, it's pissing me off.

I'm becoming more reliant on others, particularly the wife ("She who must be obeyed" to quote Horace Rumpole). On bad days she has to cut my food and help me wash. If we are in a rush, she ties my shoelaces and helps me into my jumper or jacket. 

Which is all a bit humiliating. I'm not yet 60 and I'm losing my independence. I'm grimly determined to get it back as much as possible. So I have reviewed my gym work with a neuro-physiotherapist and I'm awaiting the outcome of that. I am working hard with the Parkinson's practitioners to try and work on my medication to try and get it right and working more effectively.

However the Practitioners can't change the type of meds I take, they can only increase the strength and this is why I have also set up a meeting with my Consultant to discuss the same problem.

Of course, the RH isn't the only problem. As I have previously stated swallowing and talking are also becoming increasingly affected. So I am doing an online breathing course to strengthen my voice (a mixed blessing some would say, however tough, they are just going to put up with it!) and swallow. In addition, I have signed up for a course given by the local NHS trust to help with the same areas.

I am not to be silenced! And what is more, here at least things are improving. 

So whether or not all these different approaches work, I'm taking back some control. It requires effort, like all things that are worthwhile. However, the alternative is I become a passive observer of my own life, watching myself decline without a fight.

And that's not going to happen,  With support from friends and family, I'm going to fight back and fight back hard. 

Maybe Parkinson's will win in the end, but it's going to get a black eye in the process.


 















Comments

  1. You're a brave and determined man, Clive.
    May God Bless you throughout this trial.
    You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most read