Falling asleep

I can be a  bad passenger, stressed, anxious, frightened and prone to shout instructions.

However, this behaviour tends to be limited to when the wife is the one doing the driving. Normally otherwise I'm a good passenger. So it is only with the greatest of reluctance, and need, that I agree to get into the car if my wife is going to do the driving. 

Unfortunately, these occasions are starting to happen more frequently, and the reason? 

Fatigue................ Or is it perhaps tiredness? The difference is important. I'll explain why later.

Now both these are common symptoms for Parkinson's sufferers.  But whilst ignoring the common factor ie Parkinsons, the origin of each differs

However whether it is tiredness or fatigue I have, the impact of it is, I now have to share the driving with my wife on long journeys. I am finding it harder to stay awake, so desperate measures are required.

And letting my wife do the driving is about as desperate as it gets.

Up to 50% of Parkinson's sufferers will experience fatigue at some time. It can affect someone at any stage of Parkinson's, indeed it may be one of the first symptoms to appear. Studies have shown that you are as likely to experience fatigue early on in your Parkinson's Journey(!!!!) as you are later on. 

It is not known what causes fatigue in Parkinson's but is believed to be related in some way to the changes happening in the brain. 

However, it is probably best that before much more is said, that we understand what fatigue is. Firstly it's NOT tiredness they are not the same condition. Even if I have suggested otherwise above. Tiredness is a response to activity, lack of sleep or mental effort. Fatigue however happens without any effort and does not improve with rest.

So tiredness can be cured by rest, so if fatigue can't be what can be done? If it is related to your Parkinsons, your medication may help relieve your fatigue. Sometimes however the medication might not work and in those circumstances, an alternative type of therapy may be tried, like Cognitive Behavioural therapy (CBT).

Understanding the source of your fatigue can help identify a treatment. If it's caused by depression, or sleep disturbance other, specific medications might help.

So is it fatigue or tiredness I'm suffering from? I don't actually know. I need to speak to my Nurse and get a proper evaluation of my symptoms.

I had a friend who was forever saying "Je suis fatigue", after even minimal effort. Actually, he was a lazy bastard, although a really nice guy.

And maybe that could also be the source of my own tiredness/fatigue! I have never, after all, been accused of being a workaholic!


Comments

Most read