Life..............!



Jon (not his real name) had recently started walking with a stick. In his early 80's, he was a widower and lived alone. The charity we were both doing voluntary work for was a lifeline for him. It gave him a social outlet and kept loneliness from his door.

I really like him, but recently although he still attended he seemed able to do less and less. 

This week while chatting together I asked him how he was doing.

"Not great, I'm seeing the doctor next week and following that I should know more about what the future has for me".

Now you know something must be badly wrong if a man in the UK admits to ill health. A common greeting in the UK is, " morning, how are you today"? 

With a typical response being "not bad and how are you"?

The man responding thus may actually be a few hours from death, but would never admit to any other response then "not bad"!

So Jon's response caused me to pause for a moment.

And then I noticed his eyes. Confused and a bit frightened. I'd seen this before; In my mother in law, waiting on MND to take her life and scared by how her end would happen. In a family friend being destroyed by cancer.

And in others, all facing up to their end.

I'm a naturally a reserved person, but occasionally even I know what to do. And this was one of those occasions. 

It also turned out that I was also the right person as well who'd have thought it!

"Hope it's not bad news"? I said, already sure that it was.

"I've been treated for Parkinson's"

I felt relief. Bad but not the worst.

"I'm sorry to hear that, but it could be worse. You should be able to have a decent quality of life for a few years".

And I told him how I was finding it.

"The consultant no longer believes that it's Parkinson's"

"What does he think it is?"

"He's not sure, I've been checked for various neurological conditions"

And here he paused for a second 

"Including MND"

Off all the possible neurological conditions to get, Parkinson's is one of the better one's, if you have to suffer from one.

MND however is one of the worst. With no hope and with no real treatments. Not even the promise of a dignified death.

We chatted, with me saying when we had finished, "Let's hope it is Parkinson's", something I'd never thought I'd say. He thanked me. 


My sister burst into tears. She was in a lot of pain and the painkillers had still to kick in. She'd just had a double mastectomy and had been unceremoniously sent home within 24 hours of the operation. 

Carrying two drainage bags, allowing the wounds to clear. 

All this after three months of the latest chemotherapy the next stage was this operation. Understandably she had mixed feelings about having it. 

However you looked at it, it would leave her physically very different. 

And this isn't the end. She has further months of chemotherapy to look forward to. Fortunately not as grueling as what she had just gone through.

And then years perhaps of uncertainty. Has the treatment worked? Will the cancer come back? Will I live?

And there will be more tears yet to come.

Life can be rich, rewarding and fun.

It can also be full of pain and fear. 

Sometimes it can be taken for granted. That there will always be a rich tomorrow. That life will continue.

But it doesn't. Lucky is the person who goes from birth to death without something serious going wrong. Cancer. MND. Parkinson's.

Or some other condition.

Life is great, don't waste it.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, dear Clive. Every one of your posts makes me think of 3 John 13f.: "I have much to write you, but I do not want to do so with pen and ink. I hope to see you soon, and we will talk face to face."

    If God wills it, I'd love to sit and have a chat over several jars someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pubcrawler what a pleasant surprise, yes I would like that as well. Hope you are doing well?
    I'm now semi retired so perhaps I can wend my way over to Cambridge some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christ is risen!

      Sorry for late reply, it’s been Holy Week/Pascha and I’ve been in church a lot (my poor feet!).

      I do indeed like your blog. ‘Enjoy’ is probably not the right word, but you write engagingly and it makes one think. I would comment more, but (a) I find the exercise of writing a struggle and (b) not having any comparable experience what I would say might come across as banal platitude.

      I much prefer free-flowing conversation, especially over some free-flowing ale, where the full gamut of voice and body language is available. (In this regard, I think I have noted before that the Anton I had a few beers with once upon a time (he seems to have ‘dropped’ me now; no matter) is considerably more personable than the online version. I suspect that goes for many.)

      So yeah, always happy to show people round the best boozers in Cambridge 😊 Likewise if I’m back in God’s Own Black Country, which I guess would be less of a trek for you.

      Delete
    2. Yes I like the sort of conversation which starts on one topic, that leads you to another dozen topis with no certainty as to where it'll end up.

      Delete
  4. Ps I hope your comment means you like my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He just wants you to buy the beers!

      Delete
    2. Well I can usually be relied upon for a pint or three.

      The pubs better be good however 😎

      Delete
    3. Anyone suggesting that I drink in shit pubs will be hearing from my solicitors. Just sayin'...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Most read