I'm not incapacitated!


Apologies for the long wait. Things have been busy.

Well it's here, the fifth anniversary of my diagnosis and I've noticed an unsettling trend amongst friends and those I'm doing business with. 

I'm being treated like an invalid.

Not by everyone, or all the time, but the trend is definitely in that direction.

Which is hugely depressing.  

As some of you will have noticed, recently the weather has been a bit chilly, causing ,some heavy frost, creating dangers for the unsteady on their feet.

Put simply, the risk of having a serious fall has increased. And being the no.1 killer for those of us 'blessed' with Parkinson's, this is no laughing matter.

I was happy to be careful as smacking the pavement with my face, wasn't on my 'to do ' list.

I'm no great fan of pain.

But it would appear that some weren't happy with my efforts.

I didn't allow the cold and frost to trap me in my home however, I had business to do and was determined to finish it. I was visiting a shop and one of the senior staff pre warned of my visit, came out of the building as I drove up and started giving me advice on being careful, especially when walking on the bits of decking around the entrance.

It was when he started holding my arm to guide me down the stairs that I knew that people had now categorised me as disabled.

And things had gone to far.

I don't want to appear ungrateful, but I would prefer not to be publicly treated like this, I felt like I was the towns, invalid clown.

I am not yet past it. I still do a full session in the gym. I'm not needing someone to hold my arm.

My wife, bless her, almost appears to be searching for an excuse to treat me like an invalid, all from the best motives 

Attempts are made to help me in and out of the car . Offers are made to clean me whilst I shower. How much more humiliating can it get?

But she means well and I have slowed down. Some things have got worse in the last five years.

But I'm not yet an invalid 

I think I'm still hip!🤣


Comments

Most read