Have I been lied to?


Well I've found something out today, and I can only say that I am extremely pissed off.

At least two consultants have, I believe, lied to me. Why they felt it right to do so I don't know, but I believe they have.

Parkinson's has what is called a 'honeymoon' period, where life can be fairly normal and symptoms easily controlled by the medication. This 'honeymoon' period lasts on average 2 to 6 years.

I was told 10. 

By two separate consultants. 

Indeed one of them said it might last for 15 years and it would be around 20 years before the symptoms became problematic to medicate.

The other said that even after 5 years, I wouldn't notice any difference.

Let me tell you, that's not been the case.

So what gives them the right to lie like this? What benefit did they think I would enjoy from them doing so?

Was I naive to take what I've been told at face value?

Am I overreacting? After all, have I not been able to live with the condition better for believing that I had 10 good years ahead of me?

Well she "who must be obeyed", thinks I am. She thinks I misunderstood the Consultants and need to take context more into account.

So what does she mean? 

When I was diagnosed, I was told that mine was a peculiarly early diagnosis. That most Parkinson's patients would take 2 to 3 additional years before seeing a consultant.

In addition, I was diagnosed at a relatively young age for Parkinson's. Early 50's and PD tends to progress slower the younger you are.

Therefore she argued, although the average honeymoon period is 2 to 6 years, because of my early diagnosis and lifestyle changes e.g. gym and exercise, 10 years was achievable.

Finally I needed to remember context.. neurological consultants work with patients who have brain tumours, MND and other neurological conditions with bleak outcomes, Parkinson's would come as something of a relief.

So, her argument went, they weren't lying, simply being over optimistic!

Hmmm, I am sceptical. Even if true I should have been given better context. The 10 years, shouldn't have been such a firm promise. No one even alluded to 6 years, nevermind 2.

So why am I so annoyed by this? Well put simply I have made decisions based on my 10 year guarantee, which I would have changed had I been given better information.

Like when to retire.

So whilst I can agree with some of what the wife said, she gives them too much of a free pass. 

So maybe not lied, but certainly a bit loose with the truth. And for me that matters.

Fortunately my current consultant and I have never spoken about the honeymoon period, so I don't feel a loss of trust in him. 

But I will be more sceptical about what I am told in future. 

Comments

  1. Your wife's understanding may be the correct one, Clive. Be a good idea to ask your new consultant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes maybe, however consultants can be a law unto themselves, so I think I can't be certain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most read